Making the invisible, visible — Blindness

Image showing a lady wearing shorts, t-shirt, dark sunglasses, and walking with a long cane and a bobble tip.
  • a touch of science if anyone wants to skip this section — retinitis pigmentosa is not actually one solitary condition impacting 1 in 4000 people, but is an umbrella term for potentially hundreds of different conditions with similar presentations. There are three core methods for genetic conditions such as retinitis pigmentosa to come about. I have the most typical — autosomal dominant. This means only one parent has to have a copy of the defective piece of genetic material for it to be passed on. The other types are autosomal recessive, meaning if one parent has the gene there’s a 25% chance that their child will be a carrier, if two parents have the gene, there’s a 50% chance the child will inherit the condition; and, x-linked which typically means that girls have a 25% chance of being a carrier, and boys have a 25% chance of developing the condition. I do, however, know females that have developed retinitis pigmentosa with x-linked inheritance and it has been very aggressive!
basic image of a dog wearing a harness

--

--

--

I’m a blind psychologist with the world’s best guide dog. My aim is to write about what matters to me. Health, equality, and discrimination.

Love podcasts or audiobooks? Learn on the go with our new app.

Recommended from Medium

TITLE OF THE SYNOPSIS

White People — We Cannot Understand. But We Can Be Allies

Why inclusion policies in the corporate world must talk about caste

No Country for Old Men’s Racism

a hand pointing to An America filled with pins, on a map

MEN : THE UNDERDOG VICTIMS

Protestor , Rioter, Looter — Difference & Similarity?

When I was 13,

I have just had a very frustrating, dead-end, conversation about feminism with my dad.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store
Dr Tim Mahy

Dr Tim Mahy

I’m a blind psychologist with the world’s best guide dog. My aim is to write about what matters to me. Health, equality, and discrimination.

More from Medium

It’s Time We Learned our Lesson

Hockey

The start of a blog, and the end of disobedience.

Pope Francis Thinks Pet Owners are Selfish

Social injustice